Friday, February 5, 2010

Only stupid people are breeding...

So while I have a full Atlanta airport tirade in the works, I felt the need to share a bit of the insanity that I have to deal with in the workplace on a daily basis.

My company's main business is "call diamonds" which are sent out on memo. Much like a doctor, these diamonds are called when needed, to fill a customer's potential order cause the store doesn't normally carry a large inventory. The normal memo terms are 10 days, planning a day on each end for shipping and then a week for the stores to work on the stones. Well, certain diamond dealers are inpatient covetous bastards, so after 3-4 days, they begin calling me to pester me about their stones. Despite years of business with them, and them understanding how our business works, they assume we are either hoarding all these diamonds to swim in like Scrooge McDuck, or that by some bending of the laws of time and space, we are able to receive the diamond from them in NYC, and send it to a customer in say, California, and give them time to show it to a customer, and get it back to us, all in 3 damn days. Its absurd and unnecessary.

This brings me to the delightful experience I just had. Most companies we work with are either owned/staffed by Israelis or Indians. Don't ask me how Indians suddenly became big players in the diamond game, but in the last few decades they have. Israelis by nature are rough, impatient, and demanding, if sometimes incompetent (they can fire machine guns and defend against terrorist attacks, but they cant properly run a computer program), while Indians are more laid back and understanding. This particular customer of mine is Indian and they are usually great to work with as we keep their stones for weeks at a time, they are flexible and accommodating, and things work smooth as silk. However, they have a trade show coming up, so they need their inventory that we have back so they have it for display. So they are in a tizzy cause the show is coming up soon, so soon!...its in the first fucking week of March. Its still 3 weeks away, calm your curry-infused asses down. This lead to the following exchange today with a woman there named Patricia...

P: Yes, I am calling to check on (random stone number), I need the status or we need to have it back.
J: Umm, Patricia, we just got that stone from you on Tuesday, the store has only had it for 2 days, they are working on it.
P: Yes, but we have a show coming up and I told you we needed these stones back promptly.
J: I understand this, but we still need to let these stones breath a bit. I will get them back as soon as possible.
P: No you don't understand, we have a show coming up! Plus, you have a bunch of our larger stones, which are specifically what we need back the most.

At this point, I am starting to get pissed. Yes, Latika, I know you have a show coming up. But verbally hanging me up by my thumbs and tasing me is not going to get me to confess to cheating... i mean, get you your stones back. Oh yeah, these "large stones", usually that is stones over 2 cts, we had nothing over 1.25 cts, which is very averaged size. So she is getting her sari in a bunch over a bunch of false information.

J: Ok, I am doing the best I can. I will stay on top of it. But we don't have anything large and the stone you asked about will need to see after the weekend.
P: Can you get it back today?
J: No! They told me there is a customer coming in to see it this weekend, so I will know on Monday.
P: So you can't get it back today?
J: *sigh* It wouldn't be back till Monday anyways cause its Friday...
P: Just know that you guys have alot of goods, and we need them back, cause we have the show.
J: Fine.
*Click*

Side Note: This is all in heavily accented English. It was like arguing with the dude from the internet classic "You kicked my Dog", except it was an irritated female.

Now I know it is just her reacting to pressure from her superiors, but lets be honest, she doesn't know how to handle any sort of pressure. And her grasp of the workings of these memos seemed to be as tenuous as my grasp on their worship of bovines.

TGIF.


JW

No comments:

Post a Comment