Thursday, April 16, 2009

Things are shaping up to be pretty odd...

Life is all about living life one step at a time and not getting ahead of yourself. Why do I suddenly say this you ask? Cause I was served a fresh reminder this afternoon.

So at around 2 this afternoon, market had an hour left, and I was sitting pretty. I was up 75% on the day, which at this point in my trading career is fantastic. Well instead of realizing that I was in a good place, I stated getting cocky and thinking about what a nice day it was outside. My thoughts basically proceeded as follows:

"Wow, I am up today, Im doing awesome."
"Its gorgeous out, Im definitely going to go out tonight. And its gonna be sweet cause I had a baller trading day."
"Hmm, this stock is looking shaky, maybe I should lay off...fuck that noise, look at how awesome I am trading...tonight is going to be alot of fun."

Well at that point, the market exacted its revenge and my footloose and fancy free style promptly blew up in my face. The stock I was trading, AVB in case any of you closet stock market nerds were interested, went from a steady rising cash cow, to being more indecisive and bipolar that a sorority girl. One minute she is introducing you to her friends and talking about one more drink before you two go back to her place...nice. Then suddenly you find out she is telling the whole campus you are a creeper and may or may not have herpes...what??

My last two HORRIBLE trades of the day were like slow motion. You know that moment when you shouldn't do something, but fuck it, you do it anyways? Yeah, it happened twice...damn I am such a moron sometimes. I ended up down 50%, yes, thats a 125% swing for the negative...sweet lord. Better now than when I am actually playing with alot more money, right? At least thats what Im telling myself.

So anyways, I get on the train just wanting to go home, maybe take a nap, and put it out of my mind, cause thats all you can do. I sit down on a half empty Purple Line car and start fiddling with my phone. I kind of zone out until I reach Merchandise Mart where I noticed a few people get on. I pay little mind as there are only a few people on the train and I am already next to the window. Suddenly I get the feeling that there is someone looking at me and I realize an older gentleman, probably in his 60s, wearing a cream trenchcoat is standing over me. He clearly is trying to inquire if the other half of my seat is taken. I give him a quizzical look (as there are a ton of completely open seats where sharing is not necessary) but kind of shift myself and my bag a bit and he sits down. Immediately I notice that he sat pretty fucking close. Like leg firmly against my leg close... As the train lurches forward, he places his hand on the seat in front of us to steady himself and keeps it there. No big deal...except that he is practically reaching across me and his hand is pretty much centered in front of my body.

Now I am getting a bit weirded out. I figure since he is older, maybe he doesn't have the same sense of personal space, maybe he is European, trying to figure something out here. In the meantime, I continue to stare at my phone. Suddenly I get that feeling of someone staring at you again, so I look up...

"Beautiful weather today isn't it?"

Ok, he is not European. Look for that wedding ring, nope, nothing there. I begin to get that awkward premonition...

"Oh yeah, I'm just glad spring finally arrived..."

He hasn't shifted himself away from me at all, despite the fact that I have subtley squirmed and shifted a bit to signify that I am not a fan of this leg on leg action. All he does is oddly flex and extend his fingers. Repeatedly. Sorry if its weird that I find that bizarre, but it was. He looked like Chopin preparing for a piano sonata.

"You have a lovely hair color, is that your natural color?"

Ok, what the fuck!?! Really? If a cute girl was sitting this close to me and asked me that question, I may be flattered, but I would still be a bit puzzled. I then begin to do the rest of the math. Still plenty of open seats. Across the aisle, he could have shared a seat with a STUNNING brunette, not to mention a decently cute blond a bit further down if lighter hair was his thing. Shit, I am being hit on by a 60 year old gay man. Listen, I love Crocodile Rock, but I don't want Elton John practically sitting on my lap as I commute home.

"Yeah, I guess I have my dad's hair."

What else am I supposed to say? Oh no, his hand is now off the seat and he flexes it again and rests it on his leg. Or should I say half his leg, so part of it rests on mine since he is making every effort to fuse them together.

"I really like your style. Very trendy and unique."

Are you kidding me? Am I sitting next to Marc Jacobs. For reference, while I do fancy myself quite the dapper dresser, I was wearing jeans, a black track jacket and boat shoes. Trying to be comfortable for work, not looking smashing for the opening of Transformers 2. Now I have my suspicions confirmed and silently pray for Diversey to arrive with haste.

"Thanks, I know what I like."

I try not to be too terse and patiently continue to fiddle with my phone. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a pair of sunglasses, oddly reminiscent of the kind Hannibal Lecter wears in Hannibal. Great, now he looks like a famous serial killer (who had subtle homosexual tendancies) AND he can leer at me while not being noticed.

Thankfully, Diversey arrives and I get up to leave. He places his hand on my forearm and says it was a pleasure meeting me. I mumble a hurried reply and try not to sprint onto the platform. Thank god I don't live in Wrigley or I would have had to deflect his advances all the way to his departure into Boystown.

Don't get me wrong, its not the first or last time I will be hit on by a gay man. And thats fine, I am comfortable enough with myself that I can kind of laugh it off and be fine with it. Plus I have gay friends, so its not a demographic that inherently creeps me out. But there is something unsettling about an overly forward homosexual man of that age that even my gay friends have complained about. I need to stop looking so dashing on the train obviously...

So I used to be a big Panic at the Disco fan before they got all popular and it was the coolest thing to like for 15 year old girls, besides texting, Starbucks, and rainbow lipstick blowjob parties. I thought they were different and quirky, and pretty damn catchy. Well their most recent CD initially turned me off because I felt they were trying to hard to be the Beatles. The lead single, Nine in the Afternoon, screamed Beatles revival and the video was an unabashed Sergeant Pepper's knockoff. But recently, I decided to give them another spin, because honestly, who hasn't tried to replicate the Beatles a bit, besides Slayer, Britney Spears, and T.I.? Well, I am thoroughly obsessed with That Green Gentleman. Its brilliantly catchy and lyrically interesting, just what I expect from them. It also makes me feel like I am 10 years old again. Perfect song for the coming of spring. Rocks my face. The video is also hilarious and pretty sweet.

"I wanna go where everyone goes, I wanna know what everyone knows, I wanna go where everyone feels the same... "

JW

No comments:

Post a Comment