Wednesday, April 1, 2009

And she said na na na na na

So its 11 PM and I really should be going to bed, but I don't want to thus, I might as well expound upon the topic dancing in my head all day.

One of my favorite movies is High Fidelity. John Cusack, Jack Black, record store, just pure quality. Well one of the whole tenants of the movie is the idea of Top 5 lists, be it top 5 break ups, or top 5 songs about death. So as I was listening to Pandora at work today (let me just say thank you to Pandora for no longer sucking and now providing me with entertainment daily), I heard a few songs and crafted my own top 5 song list...

Top 5 Songs that encapsulate a set of emotions pertaining to the opposite sex:
(Yes that is a mouthful, but I am a ridiculously verbose person and frankly know no other way to phrase it. And yes, its skewed towards females, cause I am a male...get it?)

1) The Used-Bulimic
This and other portions of this top 5 will be a bit angsty, but you've been cautioned. For me, this is the perfect embodiment of the emotional catharsis and that tipping point when you realize a faulty relationship is over and you are better off because of it...and that other person can suck it. Funnily enough, my ex who I am still really good friends with introduced me to it as I was trying to deal with another messed up situation. Just brilliant in its simplicity and honesty. And while a bit coarse, the title refering to the purging of all the old emotions and unhappiness, is pretty clever.

2) Blink 182- Online Songs
Easily is one of my favorite Blink songs. Again so simplistic yet so completely representative of that feeling. Whether you are chasing after the girl you just lost, or more reminiscent of my past, you are pining for that dreamy vixen who loves to string you along while seemingly making out with everyone else you know, Mark and Tom share your pain. Not to mention its so damn catchy to sing "Na na na na" that you probably will forget all about that foolish trollop

3) The Starting Line- Saddest Girl Story
Remember when you were 17 and you desperately wanted to write songs about how you were feeling but you could never find the right words cause they seemed cheesy or too basic? Oh maybe that was just me, but luckily enough Kenny from the Starting Line did it for me. This song and basically every other song off of "Say It Like You Mean It" is just blatantly saying what we have all thought and felt. Here in particular, he loves an awesome girl who is in love with her current douchebag boyfriend. Everyone else knows what a shithead he is, but she won't leave him. (Psst Kenny, girls like assholes. I know this now). I swear this song encapsulated my freshman year as I chased a girl who was dating a senior with 2 DUIs, a DWI, and was a complete asshat in addition. I basically listened to this song every night and cried myself to sleep...No that only happened like...3 times, but I did listen to this song enough that even my pop-punk allergic roommate could be seen nodding his head and mouthing the words after about a week. Its also probably the most fun and upbeat a depressing song could be, thats why TSL is wicked.

4) Senses Fail-Lady in a Blue Dress
Everyone has been in the relationship where the other half is completely immature, or in some way flawed to the point that they are draining the relationship and they do so by projecting their issues onto you and making it your fault. How can your respect and value others when you have none for yourself? This song could also be entitled "Dear most girls at Miami that Justin got involved with". I know, its shocking that a guy who had dalliances with mostly younger girls encountered a few with no self respect and staggering immaturity. I mean, this song takes it to a harsher and more sinister level at times, but the chorus is pretty fricken strong and so I give them my blessing to sum up my feelings on the topic.

5) Jason Mraz-On Love In Sadness
I can't be a complete downer. This song just does it for me. Sometimes these relationships and situations suck, but really, when it comes down to it, I'm not sure myself or anyone else would rather have it any other way. It makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you tingly, its just a clusterfuck of emotions, but you ride out the storm and enjoy it. Cause much like some of the theme of 0% interest, its the better times that get you through the rough spots. Its ironic that I would be the one to talk about perspective, but sometimes you need it, and this song gives it.

So yeah, thats whats been on my mind. Happy April Fools Day. My mom called me today to inform me that the check that I just got from them for some things that I was going to use to pay my rent today would bounce cause they had a mini financial crisis and not to cash it. I flipped out and almost put a huge cash advance on my credit card in panic before my mom called back laughing manically. Thanks mom, way to give the kid, who up to 3 weeks ago had been unemployed and is thus uber stressed about money, a near heart attack for your sick pleasure. She then informed me that I was the only one she pranked today. This day blows...

So Ive mentioned Northstar before, as they have in the last 6 months gone from a band that Ive enjoyed to one of my top 5 fav bands ever, hands down, which is quite impressive. Well I got my hands on a cd of B-sides and acoustic covers. I specifically have been obsessed with the acoustic versions of For Members Only, My Ricochet, and the cover of Chesterfield Kings, a punk song slowed down to a gorgeous folky gem. So if they weren't your thing initially, try these on for size. If you liked them before, you'll LOVE this. And if you've never heard them, what are you waiting for? Have I ever steered you wrong?

"Why don't you melt way down here, With heaven so far and hell so near"

JW

No comments:

Post a Comment